PowerTCP Service ActiveX control buffer overflow
|powertcp-service-activex-bo (34494)||High Risk|
The PowerTCP Service ActiveX control (DartService.dll) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. By creating a specially-crafted Web page, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system, if the attacker could persuade the victim to visit the Web page and enable the ActiveX control.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu May 24 2007 - 13:55:26 CDT : Dart Communications PowerTCP Service Control (DartService.dll 22.214.171.124) remote buffer overflow.
- Dart Communications Web site: Zip Compression | Compress | ActiveX, OCX | WinZip, PKZIP, GZip.
- BID-24142: Dart Communications PowerTCP Service DartService.DLL ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- BID-24163: Dart Zip Compression DartZip.DLL ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-2856: Buffer overflow in the Dart Communications PowerTCP ZIP Compression ActiveX control in DartZip.dll 126.96.36.199, when Internet Explorer 6 is used, allows user-assisted remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long first argument to the QuickZip function, a related issue to CVE-2007-2855.
- OSVDB ID: 38110: Dart ZipLite Compression ActiveX (DartZipLite.dll) QuickZip Function Arbitrary Code Execution
- OSVDB ID: 38111: Dart Communications PowerTCP ZIP Compression ActiveX QuickZip Function Arbitrary Code Execution
- Dart PowerTCP Service ActiveX control 188.8.131.52
May 24, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.