Bochs floppy disk controller denial of service
|bochs-floppy-disk-dos (34513)||Medium Risk|
Bochs is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a divide-by-zero error in the emulated floppy disk controller. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to stop the bochs process, resulting in a denial of service.
Denial of Service
For Gentoo Linux (bochs):
Refer to GLSA 200711-21 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
- boch's Web site: bochs: The Open Source IA-31 Emulation Project (Home Page).
- Tavis Ormandy White paper: An Empirical Study into the Security Exposures to Hosts of Hostile Virtualized Environments.
- BID-24246: Bochs Buffer Overflow and Denial Of Service Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-2894: The emulated floppy disk controller in Bochs 2.3 allows local users of the guest operating system to cause a denial of service (virtual machine crash) via unspecified vectors, resulting in a divide-by-zero error.
- GLSA-200711-21: Bochs: Multiple vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 42119: Bochs Emulated Floppy Disk Controller Unspecified Divide-By-Zero Local DoS
- SA25470: Bochs NE2000 RX Frame Overflow and Disk Controller Denial of Service
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-1936: Bochs NE2000 RX Frame Heap Overflow and Floppy Disk Controller DoS Vulnerabilities
- Bochs Project Bochs 2.3 and prior
- Gentoo Linux
May 01, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.