Avira AntiVir LZH files buffer overflow
|avira-antivir-lzh-bo (34551)||High Risk|
Avira AntiVir is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the file parsing engine. By persuading a victim to scan a specially-crafted LZH file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Avira AntiVir has issued a fix which is included in the regular automatic update, available to all Avira AntiVir users.
- Avira Web site: Avira Products.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Mon May 28 2007 - 09:53:31 CDT: n.runs-SA-2007.010 - Avira Antivir Antivirus LZH parsing Arbitrary Code Execution Advisory.
- BID-24187: Avira Antivir Antivirus Multiple Remote Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-2974: Buffer overflow in the file parsing engine in Avira Antivir Antivirus before 7.03.00.09 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted LZH archive file, resulting from an integer cast around.
- OSVDB ID: 36712: Avira AntiVir Antivirus LZH Archive Handling Overflow
- SA25417: Avira Antivir Multiple File Processing Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1018131: AntiVir Buffer Overflow in Processing LZH Files Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- Avira AntiVir prior to 7.03.00.09
May 29, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.