Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Upload ActiveX control buffer overflow
|yahoo-webcam-upload-bo (34758)||High Risk|
The Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Upload ActiveX control (ywcupl.dll) is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow. By persuading a victim to visit a specially-crafted Web page that passes an overly long "Server" property to the Send() method, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the user or cause the victim's browser to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Yahoo! Messenger (18.104.22.1681 or later), available from the Yahoo! Messenger Web site. See References.
- eEye Digital Security Advisory AD20070608: Yahoo! Webcam ActiveX Controls Multiple Buffer Overflows.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Thu Jun 07 2007 - 13:20:51 CDT: Yahoo 0day ActiveX Webcam Exploit.
- Yahoo! Messenger Web site: Download - Yahoo! Messenger.
- Yahoo! Messenger Web site: Security Update - Yahoo! Messenger.
- BID-24341: RETIRED: Yahoo! Messenger Multiple Unspecified Remote Code Execution Vulnerabilities
- BID-24354: Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Upload ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-3147: Buffer overflow in the Yahoo! Webcam Upload ActiveX control in ywcupl.dll 22.214.171.124 for Yahoo! Messenger 126.96.36.199 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long server property value to the send method. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 37082: Yahoo! Webcam Upload ActiveX (ywcupl.dll) send Method Overflow
- SA25547: Yahoo! Messenger Two ActiveX Controls Buffer Overflows
- SECTRACK ID: 1018203: Yahoo Messenger Unspecified Bugs Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- SECTRACK ID: 1018204: Yahoo Messenger Buffer Overflows in Webcam ActiveX Controls Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- US-CERT VU#949817: Yahoo! Webcam image upload ActiveX control vulnerable to arbitrary code execution
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-2094: Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Upload and Viewer ActiveX Controls Buffer Overflow
- Yahoo Webcam ActiveX Control 188.8.131.52
Jun 06, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.