Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Viewer ActiveX control buffer overflow
|yahoo-webcam-viewer-bo (34759)||High Risk|
The Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Upload ActiveX control (ywcvwr.dll) is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow. By persuading a victim to visit a specially-crafted Web page that passes an overly long "Server" property to the Receive() method, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the user or cause the victim's browser to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Yahoo! Messenger (126.96.36.1991 or later), available from the Yahoo! Messenger Web site. See References.
- eEye Digital Security Advisory AD20070608: Yahoo! Webcam ActiveX Controls Multiple Buffer Overflows.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Wed Jun 06 2007 - 19:03:55 CDT: 2nd Yahoo 0day ActiveX Exploit.
- Yahoo! Messenger Web site: Download - Yahoo! Messenger.
- Yahoo! Messenger Web site: Security Update - Yahoo! Messenger.
- BID-24184: Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Viewer YWCVWR.DLL ActiveX Control Denial of Service Vulnerability
- BID-24341: RETIRED: Yahoo! Messenger Multiple Unspecified Remote Code Execution Vulnerabilities
- BID-24355: Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Viewer ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-3148: Buffer overflow in the Yahoo! Webcam Viewer ActiveX control in ywcvwr.dll 188.8.131.52 for Yahoo! Messenger 184.108.40.206 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long server property value to the receive method.
- OSVDB ID: 37081: Yahoo! Webcam Viewer ActiveX (ywcvwr.dll) receive Method Overflow
- SA25547: Yahoo! Messenger Two ActiveX Controls Buffer Overflows
- SECTRACK ID: 1018203: Yahoo Messenger Unspecified Bugs Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- SECTRACK ID: 1018204: Yahoo Messenger Buffer Overflows in Webcam ActiveX Controls Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- US-CERT VU#932217: Yahoo! Webcam view utilities ActiveX control vulnerable to arbitrary code execution
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-2094: Yahoo! Messenger Webcam Upload and Viewer ActiveX Controls Buffer Overflow
- Yahoo Webcam ActiveX Control 220.127.116.11
Jun 07, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.