Simple Machines Forum (SMF) WAV CAPTCHA security bypass
|smf-wav-security-bypass (34907)||Low Risk|
Simple Machines Forum (SMF) could allow a remote attacker to bypass CAPTCHA security restrictions, caused by a vulnerability in the WAV file randomization. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to perform brute force attacks and possibly bypass registration security restrictions.
No remedy available as of July 1, 2014.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Mon Jun 18 2007 - 04:49:53 CDT: Simle machines forum CAPTCHA bypass and PHP injection.
- Simple Machines Forum Web site: Home of SMF: Free PHP and MySQL forum software.
- CVE-2007-3308: Simple Machines Forum (SMF) 1.1.2 uses a concatenation method with insufficient randomization when creating a WAV file CAPTCHA, which allows remote attackers to pass the CAPTCHA test via an automated brute-force attack.
- OSVDB ID: 40617: Simple Machines Forum (SMF) WAV File CAPTCHA Test Bypass
- OSVDB ID: 44981: Simple Machines Forum (SMF) Hamming Distances Remote Audio CAPTCHA Bypass
- SECTRACK ID: 1018260: Simple Machines Forum Bugs Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code or Bypass the Sound-Based CAPTCHA Function
- Simple Machines Simple Machines Forum 1.1.2 and prior
Jun 18, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.