Wireshark (Ethereal) DHCP/BOOTP denial of service
|wireshark-dhcpbootp-dos (35113)||Medium Risk|
Wireshark (formerly known as Ethereal) is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an off-by-one error in the DHCP/BOOTP dissector. By sending multiple DHCP-over-DOCSIS packets, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause a denial of service.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of Wireshark (0.99.6 or later), available from the Wireshark Web site. See References.
For Mandriva Linux (wireshark):
Refer to MDKSA-2007:145 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For Debian/GNU Linux (wireshark):
Refer to DSA-1322-1 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For SUSE Linux:
Refer to SUSE-SR:2007:015 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Wireshark Web site: Wireshark 0.99.6 Release Notes.
- wnpa-sec-2007-02: Multiple problems in WiresharkŪ (formerly EtherealŪ) versions 0.8.20 to 0.99.5.
- ASA-2008-034: wireshark security update (RHSA-2008-0059)
- BID-24662: Wireshark Multiple Protocol Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-3393: Off-by-one error in the DHCP/BOOTP dissector in Wireshark before 0.99.6 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via crafted DHCP-over-DOCSIS packets.
- DSA-1322: wireshark -- several vulnerabilities
- GLSA-200708-12: Wireshark: Multiple vulnerabilities
- MDKSA-2007:145: Updated wireshark packages fix multiple vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 37639: Wireshark DHCP/BOOTP Dissector Crafted DHCP-over-DOCSIS Packet Remote DoS
- RHSA-2007-0709: Low: wireshark security and bug fix update
- RHSA-2007-0710: Low: wireshark security update
- RHSA-2008-0059: Moderate: wireshark security update
- SA25833: Wireshark Multiple Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1018315: Wireshark DHCP/BOOTP, MMS, SSL, DCP ETSI, iSeries, and HTTP Chunked Response Bugs Let Remote Users Deny Service
- SUSE-SR:2007:015: SUSE Security Summary Report
- Debian Debian Linux 4.0
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0 X86_64
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- SUSE SuSE Linux
- Wireshark Wireshark prior to 0.99.6
Jun 27, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this