SurgeFTP error message cross-site scripting
|surgeftp-error-xss (35378)||Medium Risk|
SurgeFTP is vulnerable to cross-site scripting, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input by the mirror server Web interface. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using an invalid server response to inject malicious script into an error message which would be executed in a victim's Web browser within the security context of the hosting Web site, once the message is viewed. An attacker could use this vulnerability to steal the victim's cookie-based authentication credentials.
Upgrade to the latest version of SurgeFTP (7/12/2007 or later), available from the SurgeFTP Web site. See References.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Tue Jul 10 2007 - 10:41:02 CDT: Portcullis Computer Security Ltd - 06-062.
- SurgeFTP Web site: SurgeFTP -- Unix/Windows Ftp Server Software.
- BID-24892: NetWin SurgeFTP Multiple Remote Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-3769: Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in the mirrored server management interface in SurgeFTP 2.3a1 allows user-assisted, remote FTP servers to inject arbitrary web script or HTML via a malformed response without a status code, which is reflected to the user in the resulting error message. NOTE: this can be leveraged for root access via a sequence of steps involving web script that creates a new FTP user account.
- OSVDB ID: 37911: NetWin SurgeFTP Mirrored Management Interface Malformed Response XSS
- SA26061: SurgeFTP Denial of Service and Script Insertion Vulnerability
- NetWin SurgeFTP Server 2.3a1
Jul 12, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.