Qbik WinGate SMTP server denial of service
|qbik-smtp-dos (35950)||Medium Risk|
Qbik WinGate is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a format string vulnerability when the SMTP server component improperly handles an SMTP client session. By persuading a victim to connect to an SMTP server, a remote attacker could send a specially-crafted SMTP command containing malicious format specifiers to crash the process.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of Qbik WinGate (6.2.2 or later), available from the Qbik WinGate Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Aug 09 2007 - 23:28:42 CDT : [HS-A007] Qbik WinGate Remote Denial of Service.
- Qbik WinGate Web site: Qbik: - WinGate, WinGate VPN, NetPatrol.
- BID-25272: WinGate SMTP Session Invalid State Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- BID-25303: Qbik WinGate SMTP Service Command Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-4335: Format string vulnerability in the SMTP server component in Qbik WinGate 5.x and 6.x before 6.2.2 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (service crash) via format string specifiers in certain unexpected commands, which trigger a crash during error logging.
- OSVDB ID: 39535: WinGate SMTP Server Component Remote Format String DoS
- SA26412: Qbik WinGate SMTP Service Format String Vulnerabilities
- VUPEN/ADV-2007-2859: Qbik WinGate SMTP Component Multiple Remote Format String Vulnerabilities
- Qbik WinGate 5.x prior to 6.2.2
Aug 10, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.