Media Player Classic AVI file buffer overflow
|mediaplayerclassic-avi-bo (36583)||High Risk|
Media Player Classic is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted AVI file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the victim.
Note: This vulnerability also affects StormPlayer, CD-Storm (MYMPC) and other products based on Media Player Classic.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- CD-Storm (MYMPC) Web site: CD-Storm (MYMPC). (Web site is in Chinese)
- Offensive Security Exploit Database [02-22-2010]: Media Player Classic v126.96.36.199 (.avi) Buffer Overflow Exploit .
- StormPlayer Web site: StormPlayer. (Web site is in Chinese)
- Vulnhunt Web site: Advisory CAL-20070912-1: Multiple vendor produce handling AVI file vulnerabilities.
- BID-25650: Media Player Classic Malformed AVI Header Multiple Remote Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-4939: Heap-based buffer overflow in mplayerc.exe in Media Player Classic (MPC) 188.8.131.52 and earlier, as used standalone and in mympc (aka CD-Storm) 184.108.40.206, StormPlayer 1.0.4, and possibly other products, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a .avi file with an indx truck size of 0xffffffff, and certain wLongsPerEntry and nEntriesInuse values.
- OSVDB ID: 37378: Media Player Classic (MPC) mplayerc.exe AVI File Processing Multiple Overflows
- SA26806: Media Player Classic AVI File Processing Buffer Overflow
- SA26807: Storm Player AVI File Processing Buffer Overflow
- SA26808: MyMPC AVI File Processing Buffer Overflow
- Media Player Classic (MPC) Media Player Classic (MPC) 6.4.9
- Media Player Classic (MPC) Media Player Classic (MPC) 220.127.116.11
- MYMPC.COM.CN CD-Storm (MYMPC) 18.104.22.168
- VeryCD.com StormPlayer 1.0.4
Sep 12, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.