RealNetworks RealPlayer MP3 Lyrics3 tag buffer overflow
|realplayer-mp3-id3-bo (37434)||High Risk|
RealNetworks RealPlayer and RealOne Player are vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking of Lyrics3 tags in MP3 files. By persuading a victim to open a malformed MP3 file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Refer to the RealNetworks Customer Support - Real Security Updates Web page for upgrade information. See References.
- NGSSoftware Insight Security Research Advisory NGS00432: High Risk Vulnerability in Real Player (ID3 tags).
- RealNetworks Customer Support - Real Security Updates Web page: RealNetworks, Inc. Releases Update to Address Security Vulnerabilities..
- BID-26214: RealNetworks RealPlayer File Parsing Routines Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2007-5080: Integer overflow in RealNetworks RealPlayer 10 and 10.5, RealOne Player 1, and RealPlayer Enterprise for Windows allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted Lyrics3 2.00 tag in an MP3 file, resulting in a heap-based buffer overflow.
- OSVDB ID: 38339: RealPlayer MP3 File Lyrics3 2.00 Tag Handling Overflow
- SA27361: RealPlayer/RealOne/HelixPlayer Multiple Buffer Overflows
- SECTRACK ID: 1018866: RealPlayer Buffer Overflows in Processing MP3, RM, SWF, RAM, and PLS Files Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- US-CERT VU#759385: RealNetworks player "Lyrics3" buffer overflow
- Real RealONE Player 1
- Real RealONE Player 2
- Real RealPlayer 10.0
- Real RealPlayer 10.5_build_18.104.22.1680
- Real RealPlayer 10.5_build_22.214.171.1248
- Real RealPlayer 10.5_build_126.96.36.1998
- Real RealPlayer Enterprise
Oct 25, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.