IBM AIX ftpd daemon buffer overflow
|aix-ftpd-bo (3758)||High Risk|
The IBM AIX ftpd daemon is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. By using a specially formatted FTP command, a remote attacker can overflow a buffer in the ftpd daemon and execute arbitrary code on the system as root.
Apply AIX APAR IY04477 patch, or the temporary fix, as listed in IBM Emergency Response Service Security Vulnerability Alert ERS-SVA-E01-1999:004.1. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue, 28 Sep 1999 05:03:18 +0200: Remote bufferoverflow exploit for ftpd from AIX 4.3.2 running on an RS6000.
- CIAC Information Bulletin J-072: IBM AIX Buffer Overflow Vulnerability.
- BID-679: AIX ftpd Remote Buffer Overflow
- CVE-1999-0789: Buffer overflow in AIX ftpd in the libc library.
- OSVDB ID: 9: IBM AIX FTPD libc Library Remote Overflow
- IBM AIX 4.3
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this