nss_ldap LDAP connection race condition
|nssldap-ldap-race-condition (38505)||Medium Risk|
nss_ldap, when used in pthread and fork libraries after a call is placed, is vulnerable to a race condition caused by the improper handling of LDAP connections. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using the LDAP connection to manipulate the data and return the incorrect user attributes to the wrong process.
Upgrade to the latest version of nss_ldap (259 or later), available from the PADL Software Pty Ltd Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- PADL Software Pty Ltd Web site: nss_ldap.
- Red Hat Bugzilla Bug 367461: CVE-2007-5794 nss_ldap randomly replying with wrong user's data.
- ASA-2008-332: nss_ldap security update (RHSA-2008-0715)
- BID-26452: PADL 'nss_ldap' Race Condition Security Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-5794: Race condition in nss_ldap, when used in applications that are linked against the pthread library and fork after a call to nss_ldap, might send user data to the wrong process because of improper handling of the LDAP connection. NOTE: this issue was originally reported for Dovecot with the wrong mailboxes being returned, but other applications might also be affected.
- DSA-1430: libnss-ldap -- denial of service
- GLSA-200711-33: nss_ldap: Information disclosure
- MDVSA-2008:049: Updated nss_ldap package fixes race condition allowing user data theft
- RHSA-2008-0389: Low: nss_ldap security and bug fix update
- RHSA-2008-0715: Low: nss_ldap security and bug fix update
- SA27670: nss_ldap Race Condition Security Issue
- SA31524: Avaya Products nss_ldap Race Condition Security Issue
- SECTRACK ID: 1020088: nss_ldap May Disclose Information on the Wrong User Request
- SUSE-SR:2008:003: SUSE Security Summary Report
- Debian Debian Linux 3.1
- Debian Debian Linux 4.0
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0
- PADL nss_ldap prior to 259
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
Nov 15, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.