Yahoo Toolbar YShortcut ActiveX control buffer overflow
|yahoo-yshortcut-bo (39155)||High Risk|
The Yahoo Toolbar YShortcut ActiveX control (YShortcut.dll) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the IsTaggedBM() method. By persuading a victim to visit a malicious Web page that passes an overly long string to the IsTaggedBM() method, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the victim or cause the victim's browser to crash.
No remedy available as of March 1, 2014.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:56:28 -0500 (EST): Yahoo Toolbar YShortcut.dll IsTaggedBM() Buffer Overflow.
- Yahoo! Toolbar Web site: Yahoo! Toolbar YShortcut ActiveX control.
- BID-26956: Yahoo! Toolbar YShortcut.dl ActiveX Control Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2007-6535: Buffer overflow in the YShortcut ActiveX control in YShortcut.dll 2006.8.15.1 in Yahoo! Toolbar might allow attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long string to the IsTaggedBM method.
- OSVDB ID: 39803: Yahoo! Toolbar YShortcut ActiveX (YShortcut.dll) IsTaggedBM Method Overflow
- Yahoo YShortcut ActiveX control 2006.8.15.1
Dec 19, 2007
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.