Simple Machines Forum itemid cross-site scripting
|simplemachinesforum-itemid-xss (39585)||Medium Risk|
Simple Machines Forum is vulnerable to cross-site scripting, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input by unspecified scripts. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using the itemid parameter in a specially-crafted URL to execute script in a victim's Web browser within the security context of the hosting Web site, once the URL is clicked. An attacker could use this vulnerability to steal the victim's cookie-based authentication credentials.
Upgrade to the latest version of Simple Machines Forum (version 2.0 1.x or later) when it is available from the Simple Machines Forum Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Jan 09 2008 - 20:12:49 CST: Simple Machines Forum Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerabilities.
- Simple Machines Web site: Simple Machines Forum.
- BID-27218: Joomla-SMF Forum Multiple Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-0284: Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in Simple Machines Forum (SMF) 1.1.4 and earlier allows remote attackers to inject arbitrary web script or HTML via (1) Itemid or (2) topic arguments.
- OSVDB ID: 42934: Simple Machines Forum (SMF) Itemid Argument XSS
- OSVDB ID: 42935: Simple Machines Forum (SMF) topic Argument XSS
- Simple Machines Simple Machines Forum 1.1.4 and prior
Jan 09, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.