Drupal UTF-8 cross-site scripting
|drupal-utf8-xss (39619)||Medium Risk|
Drupal is vulnerable to cross-site scripting, caused by an error in the text filtering functionality. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability and bypass the text filter using invalid UTF-8 sequences to inject malicious script into a Web page which would be executed in a victim's Web browser within the security context of the hosting Web site, once the data is viewed using Internet Explorer 6. An attacker could use this vulnerability to steal the victim's cookie-based authentication credentials.
Refer to DRUPAL-SA-2008-006 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
- DRUPAL-SA-2008-006: Drupal core - Cross site scripting (UTF8).
- BID-27238: Drupal Prior To 4.7.11 and 5.6 Multiple Remote Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-0273: Interpretation conflict in Drupal 4.7.x before 4.7.11 and 5.x before 5.6, when Internet Explorer 6 is used, allows remote attackers to conduct cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks via invalid UTF-8 byte sequences, which are not processed as UTF-8 by Drupal's HTML filtering, but are processed as UTF-8 by Internet Explorer, effectively removing characters from the document and defeating the HTML protection mechanism.
- OSVDB ID: 42164: Drupal Browser Interpretation Conflict (MSIE 6) UTF-8 XSS
- SA28422: Drupal Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA28486: vbDrupal Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Drupal Drupal 4.7.x prior 4.7.11
- Drupal Drupal 5.x prior to 5.6
Jan 10, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.