Citadel makeuserkey() buffer overflow
|citadel-makeuserkey-bo (39807)||High Risk|
Citadel is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the makeuserkey() function. By sending an overly long argument to the "RCPT TO" SMTP command, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Citadel (7.24 or later), available from the Citadel Web site. See References.
- Citadel Web site: Citadel.
- BID-27376: Citadel SMTP RCPT TO Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-0394: Buffer overflow in Citadel SMTP server 7.10 and earlier allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long RCPT TO command, which is not properly handled by the makeuserkey function. NOTE: some of these details were obtained from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 40516: Citadel SMTP makeuserkey Function RCPT TO Command Remote Overflow
- SA28590: Citadel SMTP "makeuserkey()" Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- SECTRACK ID: 1019255: Citadel Buffer Overflow in SMTP Service Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-0252: Citadel SMTP RCPT TO Command Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Citadel SMTP 7.10
Jan 21, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.