HP Virtual Rooms Install HPVirtualRooms14 ActiveX control buffer overflow
|hpvirtualrooms-hpvirtualrooms14-activex-bo (39836)||High Risk|
The HP Virtual Rooms Install HPVirtualRooms14 ActiveX control (HPVirtualRooms14.dll) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. By persuading a victim to visit a malicious Web page that passes an overly long string to the AuthenticationURL, PortalAPIURL, or cabroot property, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the victim or cause the victim's browser to crash.
Refer to HP Virtual Rooms for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Full-Disclosure Mailing List, Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:37:47 -0500: HP Virtual Rooms WebHPVCInstall Control Multiple Buffer Overflows.
- Hewlett-Packard Web site: HP Virtual Rooms.
- BID-27384: HP Virtual Rooms 'hpvirtualrooms14.dll' ActiveX Control Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-0437: Multiple buffer overflows in the WebHPVCInstall.HPVirtualRooms14 ActiveX control in HPVirtualRooms14.dll 188.8.131.52, as used in the installation process for HP Virtual Rooms, allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long (1) AuthenticationURL, (2) PortalAPIURL, or (3) cabroot property value. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 40890: HP Virtual Rooms Install WebHPVCInstall.HPVirtualRooms14 ActiveX (HPVirtualRooms14.dll) Multiple Property Overflow
- SA28595: HP Virtual Rooms Install HPVirtualRooms14 Class ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow
- HP Virtual Rooms 184.108.40.206
Jan 22, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.