Netscape Enterprise Server and iPlanet Web Server directory indexing
|netscape-server-directory-indexing (4116)||Low Risk|
Netscape Enterprise Server and iPLanet Web Server contain a feature called Directory Indexing. This feature, which is enabled by default, displays a directory listing when a user includes certain tags in a requested URL. This could allow a remote attacker to gain unauthorized access to documents or retrieve lists of file names (such as CGI scripts).
To turn off Directory Indexing feature through the Administration Interface:
- Open the Administration Interface.
- Select Content Management --> Document Preferences.
- Set Directory Indexing to None.
- iPlanet Knowledge Base Article 4302: Unauthorized listing of directory contents via "?wp-" query.
- Netscape Communications, Inc. Web site: Netscape Enterprise Server.
- S.A.F.E.R. Security Bulletin SAFER 000317.EXP.1.5: Netscape Enterprise Server and '?wp' tags.
- BID-1063: Netscape Enterprise Server Directory Indexing Vulnerability
- CVE-2000-0236: Netscape Enterprise Server with Directory Indexing enabled allows remote attackers to list server directories via web publishing tags such as ?wp-ver-info and ?wp-cs-dump.
- OSVDB ID: 11634: Netscape / iPlanet Multiple Web Publishing Tag Forced Directory Listing
- US-CERT VU#32794: iPlanet Web Server and Netscape Enterprise Server Web Publisher commands allow directory enumeration
- Netscape Enterprise Server 3.0
- Netscape Enterprise Server 3.5.1
- Netscape Enterprise Server 3.6
- Netscape Enterprise Server 3.6 SP2
- Netscape Enterprise Server 3.6 SP3
- Sun iPlanet Web Server
Mar 17, 2000
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this