Orbit Downloader URL conversion buffer overflow
|orbitdownloader-url-bo (41649)||High Risk|
Orbit Downloader is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking when converting URL strings from ASCII to Unicode. By persuading a victim to initiate a download with an overly long URL string, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Orbit Downloader (2.6.5 or later), available from the Orbit Downloader Web site. See References.
- CORE-2008-0314: Orbit Downloader "Download failed" buffer overflow.
- Offensive Security Exploit Database [02-23-2012]: Orbit Downloader URL Unicode Conversion Overflow.
- Orbit Downloader Web site: Download Social Music, Video & More....
- BID-28541: Orbit Downloader 'Download Failed' Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-1602: Stack-based buffer overflow in Orbit downloader 2.6.3 and 2.6.4 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long download URL, which is not properly handled during Unicode conversion for a balloon notification after a download has failed.
- OSVDB ID: 44036: Orbit Downloader URL Unicode Conversion Overflow
- SA29669: Orbit Downloader URL Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-1101: Orbit Downloader URL Processing Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Orbit Downloader Orbit Downloader 2.6.3
- Orbit Downloader Orbit Downloader 2.6.4
Apr 03, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.