BigAnt Messenger AntSever Module (AntServer.exe) buffer overflow
|bigantmessenger-antserver-bo (41830)||High Risk|
BigAnt Messenger is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the AntServer Module (AntServer.exe). By sending an overly long HTTP GET request to TCP port 6080, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of BigAnt Messenger (version 2.35 or later), available from the BigAnt Web site. See References.
- BigAnt Web site: Download BigAnt, Enpterprise Instant Messaging Server & Client.
- BID-28795: BigAnt IM Server HTTP GET Request Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-1914: Stack-based buffer overflow in the AntServer module (AntServer.exe) in BigAnt IM Server in BigAnt Messenger 2.2 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long URI in a request to TCP port 6080. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 44454: BigAnt Messenger IM Server AntServer Module (AntServer.exe) URI Handling Remote Overflow
- SA29831: BigAnt Messenger AntServer Module Directory Traversal and Buffer Overflow
- BigAntSoft Messenger 2.2
Apr 15, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.