rdesktop process_redirect_pdu function buffer overflow
|rdesktop-processredirectpdu-bo (42275)||High Risk|
rdesktop is vulnerable to a BSS-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the process_redirect_pdu function. By persuading a victim to connect to a malicious RDP server, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the victim or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of rdesktop (CVS revision 1.102 of rdp.c or later), available from the SourceForge.net Repository. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- iDefense Labs PUBLIC ADVISORY: 05.07.08: Multiple Vendor rdesktop process_redirect_pdu() BSS Overflow Vulnerability.
- rdesktop Web site: rdesktop: A Remote Desktop Protocol Client.
- SourceForge.net Repository: [rdesktop] Annotation of /rdesktop/rdp.c:.
- Sun Alert ID: 240708: Multiple Security Vulnerabilities in rdesktop may lead to Execution of Arbitrary Code or Denial of Service (DOS).
- ASA-2008-360: Multiple Security Vulnerabilities in rdesktop may lead to Execution of Arbitrary Code or Denial of Service (DOS) (Sun 240708)
- BID-29097: rdesktop Multiple Remote Memory Corruption Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-1802: Buffer overflow in the process_redirect_pdu (rdp.c) function in rdesktop 1.5.0 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) redirect request with modified length fields.
- DSA-1573: rdesktop -- several vulnerabilities
- GLSA-200806-04: rdesktop: Multiple vulnerabilities
- MDVSA-2008:101: Updated rdesktop packages fix vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 44944: rdesktop Redirect Request process_redirect_pdu() Function BSS Section Overflow
- SA30118: rdesktop Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1019991: rdesktop Buffer Overflow in process_redirect_pdu() Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- SUSE-SA:2008:041: openwsman
- USN-646-1: rdesktop vulnerabilities
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-1467: rdesktop Multiple Code Execution and Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-2403: Sun rdesktop Code Execution and Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
- Canonical Ubuntu 7.04
- Canonical Ubuntu 7.10
- Canonical Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
- Debian Debian Linux 4.0
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2007.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0
- Novell OpenSUSE 10.3
- Novell OpenSUSE 11.0
- rdesktop rdesktop 1.5.0
- Sun OpenSolaris 2008.5 SPARC
- Sun OpenSolaris 2008.5 x86
May 07, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.