Firebird SYSDBA unauthorized access
|firebird-sysdba-unauth-access (42299)||High Risk|
The Gentoo Linux Firebird init script could allow a remote attacker to obtain unauthorized access, caused by the ISC_PASSWORD environment variable being set when initially connecting to Firebird. By then initiating a client connection to the SYSDBA user account without supplying a password, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to gain unauthorized access to the database.
Refer to GLSA 200805-06 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Firebird Web site: Firebird - The RDBMS that's going where you're going.
- BID-29123: Firebird 'ISC_PASSWORD' Environment Variable Unauthorized Access Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-1880: The default configuration of Firebird before 22.214.171.12481.0-r6 on Gentoo Linux sets the ISC_PASSWORD environment variable before starting Firebird, which allows remote attackers to bypass SYSDBA authentication and obtain sensitive database information via an empty password.
- GLSA 200805-06: Firebird: Data disclosure
- GLSA-200805-06: Firebird: Data disclosure
- OSVDB ID: 44976: Firebird on Gentoo Linux /etc/conf.d/firebird Invocation ISC_PASSWORD Authentication Bypass
- FirebirdSQL Firebird 126.96.36.19981.0
- Gentoo Linux
May 09, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.