cPanel WHM interface cross-site scripting
|cpanel-whminterface-xss (42305)||Medium Risk|
cPanel is vulnerable to cross-site scripting, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input by the WHM interface. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using the issue, user, search, and possibly other parameters in a specially-crafted URL to execute script in a victim's Web browser within the security context of the hosting Web site, once the URL is clicked. An attacker could use this vulnerability to steal the victim's cookie-based authentication credentials.
Upgrade to the latest version of cPanel (11.18.4 or later), available from the cPanel Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu May 08 2008 - 19:03:26 CDT: XSS and CSRF vulnerability on Cpanel 11.
- cPanel Web site: cPanel - The Leading Control Panel.
- BID-29125: cPanel Multiple Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-2070: The WHM interface 11.15.0 for cPanel 11.18 before 11.18.4 and 11.22 before 11.22.3 allows remote attackers to bypass XSS protection and inject arbitrary script or HTML via repeated, improperly-ordered < and > characters in the (1) issue parameter to scripts2/knowlegebase, (2) user parameter to scripts2/changeip, (3) search parameter to scripts2/listaccts, and other unspecified vectors.
- OSVDB ID: 45065: WHM Interface for cPanel scripts2/knowlegebase issue Parameter XSS
- OSVDB ID: 45066: WHM Interface for cPanel scripts2/changeip user Parameter XSS
- OSVDB ID: 45067: WHM Interface for cPanel scripts2/listaccts search Parameter XSS
- SA30166: cPanel Cross-Site Scripting and Request Forgery Vulnerabilities
- cPanel cPanel 11.18.3
May 08, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.