rootpw plugin in rPath Appliance Platform Agent cross-site request forgery
|rootpw-rpath-appliance-csrf (42393)||Medium Risk|
The rootpw plugin in rPath Appliance Platform Agent is vulnerable to cross-site request forgery, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input when the rootpw plugin is enabled. By persuading an administrator with an active login session to the rPath Appliance Platform Agent to visit a specially-crafted Web site, a remote attacker could send a malformed URL request to cause the victim to reset the passwords and possibly perform other arbitrary administrative tasks. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to perform cross-site scripting attacks, Web cache poisoning and other malicious activities.
No remedy available as of August 1, 2014.
- rPath Wiki Web site: rPath Appliance Platform Agent.
- rPSA-2008-0148: rPath Security Advisory 2008-0148-1.
- CVE-2008-2140: Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) vulnerability in the rootpw plugin in rPath Appliance Platform Agent 2 and 3 allows remote attackers to reset the root password as the administrator via a crafted URL.
- OSVDB ID: 45217: rootpw Plugin for rPath Appliance Platform Agent Crafted URL Root Password Reset CSRF
- rPath Appliance Platform Agent 2
- rPath Appliance Platform Agent 3
Apr 25, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.