rootpw plugin in rPath Appliance Platform Agent privilege escalation
|rootpw-rpath-appliance-privilege-escalation (42394)||High Risk|
The rootpw plugin in rPath Appliance Platform Agent fails to validate a request made from a browser within a valid administrative session. If the rootpw plugin is enabled, a remote attacker with physical access could exploit this vulnerability to gain unauthorized access to an administrative account and elevated privileges on the vulnerable system.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- rPath Wiki Web site: rPath Appliance Platform Agent.
- rPSA-2008-0148: rPath Security Advisory 2008-0148-1.
- CVE-2008-2139: The rootpw plugin in rPath Appliance Platform Agent 2 and 3 does not re-validate requests from a browser with a valid administrator session, including requests to change the password, which makes it easier for physically proximate attackers to gain privileges and maintain control over the administrator account.
- OSVDB ID: 45215: rootpw Plugin for rPath Appliance Platform Agent Request Revalidation Handling Local Privilege Escalation
- rPath Appliance Platform Agent 2
- rPath Appliance Platform Agent 3
Apr 25, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this