GForge unspecified symlink
|gforge-unspecified-symlink (42456)||Medium Risk|
GForge could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. Predictable temporary files are used insecurely. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from the temporary file to other files on the system, which would allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system.
Refer to DSA-1577 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- GForge Web site: GForge Collaborative Development Environment CDE: Welcome.
- BID-29215: GForge Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-0167: The write_array_file function in utils/include.pl in GForge 4.5.14 updates configuration files by truncating them to zero length and then writing new data, which might allow attackers to bypass intended access restrictions or have unspecified other impact in opportunistic circumstances.
- DSA-1577: gforge -- insecure temporary files
- OSVDB ID: 42135: phpQLAdmin ezmlm.php _SESSION[path] Parameter Remote File Inclusion
- OSVDB ID: 45265: GForge Insecure Temporary Files Unspecified Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA30088: GForge Insecure Temporary Files
- Debian Debian Linux 4.0
- GForge GForge 4.5.14
May 14, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.