Trillian talk.dll buffer overflow
|trillian-talk-bo (42581)||High Risk|
Trillian is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by talk.dll during XML parsing. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted XML file containing malformed IMG tags, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with privileges of the victim or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Trillian (184.108.40.206 or later), available from the Cerulean Studios Web site. See References.
- Cerulean Studios Web site: Cerulean Studios -> Downloads.
- ZDI-08-030: Trillian Multiple Protocol XML Parsing Memory Corruption Vulnerability.
- BID-29330: Cerulean Studios Trillian Multiple Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-2408: Heap-based buffer overflow in the XML parsing functionality in talk.dll in Cerulean Studios Trillian Pro before 220.127.116.11 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a malformed attribute in an IMG tag.
- OSVDB ID: 45682: Trillian Pro Multiple Module talk.dll IMG Tag Handling Remote Memory Corruption Code Execution
- SA30336: Trillian Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1020105: Trillian XML Parsing Bug Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-1622: Trillian Multiple Buffer Overflow and Memory Corruption Vulnerabilities
- Trillian Trillian Pro 18.104.22.168 and prior
May 21, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.