Trillian aim.dll buffer overflow
|trillian-aimdll-bo (42582)||High Risk|
Trillian is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by aim.dll. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted file containing overly long FONT tag values, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with privileges of the victim or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Trillian (220.127.116.11 or later), available from the Cerulean Studios Web site. See References.
- Cerulean Studios Web site: Cerulean Studios -> Downloads.
- ZDI-08-029: Trillian AIM.DLL Long HTML Font Parameter Stack Overflow Vulnerability.
- BID-29330: Cerulean Studios Trillian Multiple Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-2407: Stack-based buffer overflow in AIM.DLL in Cerulean Studios Trillian before 18.104.22.168 allows user-assisted remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long attribute value in a FONT tag in a message.
- OSVDB ID: 45681: Trillian Pro AIM Module (aim.dll) FONT Tag Handling Remote Overflow
- SA30336: Trillian Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1020104: Trillian Remote Stack Overflow in AIM.DLL in Parsing HTML Font Parameters Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- Trillian Trillian 22.214.171.124 and prior
May 21, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.