Apple Mac OS X Help Viewer buffer overflow
|macosx-helpviewer-bo (42716)||High Risk|
Apple Mac OS X is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by an integer underflow in Help Viewer. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted help:topic URL, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges or cause the application to crash.
Apply Security Update 2008-003, available from the Apple Web site. See References.
- Apple Web site: About the security content of Security Update 2008-003 / Mac OS X 10.5.3.
- BID-29412: RETIRED: Apple Mac OS X 2008-003 Multiple Security Vulnerabilities
- BID-29483: Apple Mac OS X Help Viewer 'help:topic' URI Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-1034: Integer underflow in Help Viewer in Apple Mac OS X before 10.5 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service (application crash) via a crafted help:topic URL that triggers a buffer overflow.
- OSVDB ID: 45703: Apple Mac OS X Help Viewer help:topic URL Handling Overflow
- SA30430: Apple Mac OS X Security Update Fixes Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1020138: Apple Help Viewer Buffer Overflow in Processing 'help:topic' URL Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- US-CERT VU#566875: Apple Help Viewer vulnerable to buffer overflow
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-1697: Apple Mac OS X Command Execution and Security Bypass Issues
- Apple Mac OS X 10.4.11
- Apple Mac OS X Server 10.4.11
May 28, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.