Sun Solaris crontab code execution
|solaris-crontab-code-execution (42763)||High Risk|
Sun Solaris could allow a local attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by a race condition error in the Solaris crontab utility. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to inject cron jobs into the crontab file of another user and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the victim.
Refer to Sun Alert ID: 237864 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Sun Alert ID: 237864: A Security Vulnerability in the Solaris crontab(1) utility may allow execution of Arbitrary Code.
- CVE-2008-2538: Unspecified vulnerability in crontab on Sun Solaris 8 through 10, and OpenSolaris before snv_93, allows local users to insert cron jobs into the crontab files of arbitrary users via unspecified vectors.
- OSVDB ID: 45885: Solaris crontab Race Condition Arbitrary Cron File Manipulation Local Privilege Escalation
- SA30482: Sun Solaris crontab Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- SA30542: Avaya CMS Solaris crontab Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- SECTRACK ID: 1020151: Solaris Crontab Injection Bug Lets Local Users Gain Elevated Privileges
- Sun Solaris 10 x86
- Sun Solaris 10 SPARC
- Sun Solaris 8 SPARC
- Sun Solaris 8 x86
- Sun Solaris 9 SPARC
- Sun Solaris 9 x86
May 30, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.