Apple QuickTime Indeo video codec content buffer overflow
|quicktime-indeo-video-bo (42947)||High Risk|
Apple QuickTime is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking when handling Indeo video codec content. By persuading a victim to view a specially-crafted movie file containing malicious Indeo video codec content, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Apple QuickTime (7.5 or later), available from the Apple Web site. See References.
- Apple Web site: About the security content of QuickTime 7.5.
- ZDI-08-037: Apple QuickTime Indeo Video Buffer Overflow Vulnerability.
- BID-29619: RETIRED: Apple QuickTime Multiple Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerabilities
- BID-29652: Apple QuickTime Indo Video Codec Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-1584: Stack-based buffer overflow in Indeo.qtx in Apple QuickTime before 7.5 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) or execute arbitrary code via crafted Indeo video codec content in a movie file.
- OSVDB ID: 46072: Apple QuickTime Indeo.qtx Indeo Video Codec File Handling Overflow
- SA29293: Apple QuickTime Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1020216: QuickTime Indeo Video Stack Overflow Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-1776: Apple QuickTime Multiple File Handling Code Execution Vulnerabilities
- Apple QuickTime 7.3.1
- Apple QuickTime 7.4
- Apple QuickTime 7.4.1
- Apple QuickTime 7.4.5
Jun 10, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.