Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise Edition vb6stkit.dll buffer overflow
|visualbasic-vb6skit-bo (43180)||High Risk|
Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise Edition is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the vb6stkit.dll module. By persuading a victim to open a malicious visual basic form that passes an overly long string to the lpstrLinkPath parameter, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the victim or cause a denial of service.
No remedy available as of April 1, 2014.
- Microsoft Support Web site: Visual Basic 6.0 Solution Center.
- BID-29792: Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise Edition 6 'vb6skit.dll' Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-2959: Buffer overflow in a certain ActiveX control (vb6skit.dll) in Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise Edition 6.0 SP6 might allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long lpstrLinkPath argument to the fCreateShellLink function.
- OSVDB ID: 46827: Microsoft Visual Basic ActiveX (vb6skit.dll) fCreateShellLink Function Crafted lpstrLinkPath Argument Overflow
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 Enterprise
Jun 18, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.