CheckInstall multiple symlink
|checkinstall-multiple-symlink (43440)||Medium Risk|
CheckInstall could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack, caused by an error in the checkinstall and installwatch scripts. Certain directories are created with insecure permissions. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from a temporary file to other files on the system, which would allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges.
No remedy available as of March 1, 2014.
- Debian Bug report logs - #488140: checkinstall: Unsafe temp dir creation.
- Debian Web site: Package: checkinstall (1.6.1-7 and others).
- CVE-2008-2958: Race condition in (1) checkinstall 1.6.1 and (2) installwatch allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files and have other impacts via symlink and possibly other attacks on temporary working directories.
- OSVDB ID: 46570: CheckInstall checkinstall Script Symlink Arbitrary File / Directory Manipulation
- OSVDB ID: 46571: CheckInstall installwatch Script Symlink Arbitrary File / Directory Manipulation
- SA30873: CheckInstall Insecure Temporary Files
- CheckInstall CheckInstall 1.6.1
Jun 26, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.