Novell Client for Windows NWFS.SYS privilege escalation
|novell-client-nwfs-privilege-escalation (43460)||High Risk|
Novell Client for Windows could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges on the system, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input in the NWFS.SYS driver. By sending a specially-crafted IOCTL request, a local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to overwrite memory addresses and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges.
Refer to the Novell Technical Information Document ID: 5028543 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Novell Technical Information Document ID: 5028543: Novell Client 4.91 Post-SP4 NWFS.SYS 2.
- BID-30001: Novell Client 'NWFS.SYS' IOCTL Request Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-3158: Unspecified vulnerability in NWFS.SYS in Novell Client for Windows 4.91 SP4 has unknown impact and attack vectors, possibly related to IOCTL requests that overwrite arbitrary memory.
- OSVDB ID: 46578: Novell Client NWFS.SYS Unspecified Issue
- SA30904: Novell Client NWFS.SYS Unspecified Vulnerability
- SECTRACK ID: 1020385: Novell Client Unspecified Bug in NWFS.SYS Has Unspecified Impact
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-1968: Novell Client for Windows NWFS.SYS Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- Novell NetWare Client 4.91 SP4
Jun 26, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.