Mozilla Firefox GIF file code execution
|firefox-gif-code-execution (43850)||High Risk|
Mozilla Firefox could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by an error in the Mozilla graphics code on Mac OS X. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted GIF file, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to free an uninitialized pointer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the browser to crash.
Refer to MFSA 2008-36 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- MFSA 2008-36: Crash with malformed GIF file on Mac OS X.
- Mozilla Firefox Web site: Firefox web browser.
- NORTEL BULLETIN ID: 2009009505, Rev 1: Nortel Response to Sun Alert 256408 - Solaris 10 - Vulnerabilities in Firefox May Allow Execution of Arbitrary Code.
- Sun Alert ID: 256408: Multiple Security Vulnerabilities in Firefox Versions Before 188.8.131.52 May Allow Execution of Arbitrary Code or Access to Unauthorized Data.
- ASA-2009-158: Multiple Security Vulnerabilities in Firefox Versions Before 184.108.40.206 May Allow Execution of Arbitrary Code or Access to unauthorized Data (Sun 256408)
- BID-30266: Mozilla Firefox Mac OS X GIF Rendering Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-2934: Mozilla Firefox 3 before 3.0.1 on Mac OS X allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted GIF file that triggers a free of an uninitialized pointer.
- OSVDB ID: 47466: Mozilla Firefox on Mac OS X GIF File Handling Arbitrary Code Execution
- SA31132: Mozilla Firefox 3 on Mac OS X GIF File Handling Code Execution
- SA34501: Sun Solaris Firefox Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1020516: Mozilla Firefox GIF File Processing Bug on Mac OS X May Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- USN-626-1: Firefox and xulrunner vulnerabilities
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-2125: Mozilla Firefox for Mac OS X GIF Rendering Code Execution Vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2009-0977: Sun Solaris Security Update Fixes Firefox Code Execution Vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
- Mozilla Firefox 3.0
Jul 16, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.