Yelp URI format string
|yelp-uri-format-string (44449)||High Risk|
Yelp could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by an error when handling certain URIs. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted URI, an attacker could execute arbitrary code on the system.
Refer to Gnome Bugzilla Bug 546364 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Gnome Bugzilla Bug 546364: yelp format string vulnerabilty.
- GNOME Web site: Yelp.
- BID-30690: Yelp Invalid URI Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-3533: Format string vulnerability in the window_error function in yelp-window.c in yelp in Gnome after 2.19.90 and before 2.24 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via format string specifiers in an invalid URI on the command line, as demonstrated by use of yelp within (1) man or (2) ghelp URI handlers in Firefox, Evolution, and unspecified other programs.
- GLSA-200809-01: yelp: User-assisted execution of arbitrary code
- MDVSA-2008:175: yelp
- OSVDB ID: 47513: Yelp yelp-window.c gtk_message_dialog Crafted URI Format String
- SA31465: Yelp Invalid URI Format String Vulnerability
- SUSE-SR:2008:024: SUSE Security Summary Report
- USN-638-1: Yelp vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-2393: Yelp URI Processing Remote Format String Vulnerability
- Canonical Ubuntu 7.10
- Canonical Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
- Gentoo Linux
- Gnome Yelp 2.23.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.1
Aug 05, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.