Ampache gather-messages.sh symlink
|ampache-gathermessages-symlink (44739)||Medium Risk|
Ampache could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack, caused by an error in the gather-messages.sh script. Temporary files are created with insecure permissions. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from a temporary file to other files on the system, which would allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of Ampache (3.4.3 or later), available from the Freshmeat Web site. See References.
- Ampache Web site: About Ampache.
- Debian Bug report logs - #496369: The possibility of attack with the help of symlinks in some Debian packages .
- Freshmeat Web site: Ampache 3.4.3 (Default).
- BID-30875: Ampache Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-3929: gather-messages.sh in Ampache 3.4.1 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on the /tmp/filelist temporary file.
- GLSA-200812-22: Ampache: Insecure temporary file usage
- OSVDB ID: 47822: Ampache gather-messages.sh Temporary File Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA31657: Ampache "gather-messages.sh" Insecure Temporary Files
- Ampache Ampache 3.4.1
- Gentoo Linux
Aug 24, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.