Friendly Technologies ActiveX control CreateURLShortcut() buffer overflow
|friendly-createurlshortcut-bo (44755)||High Risk|
The Friendly Technologies ActiveX control (fwRemoteCfg.dll) is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow. By persuading a victim to visit a specially-crafted Web page that passes an overly long parameter to the CreateURLShortcut() method, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with the privileges of the user or cause the victim's browser to crash.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- Friendly Technologies Web site: Friendly Technologies TR-69 Remote management.
- BID-30891: Friendly Technologies 'fwRemoteCfg.dll' ActiveX Control Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-4048: Heap-based buffer overflow in a certain ActiveX control in fwRemoteCfg.dll 184.108.40.206 in Friendly Technologies FriendlyPPPoE Client 220.127.116.11 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long third argument to the CreateURLShortcut method.
- OSVDB ID: 48104: Friendly Technologies fwDialerTechTool.dll ActiveX CreateURLShortcut() Method Overflow
- SA31644: Friendly Technologies fwDialerTechTool.dll Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Friendly Technologies FriendlyPPPoE Client 18.104.22.168
- Friendly Technologies fwRemoteCfg.dll 22.214.171.124
Aug 28, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.