newsbeuter URL command execution
|newsbeuter-url-command-execution (44791)||High Risk|
newsbeuter could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary commands on the system, caused by the improper validation of user-supplied input. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted URL within an RSS feed using a Web browser, a remote attacker could inject and execute arbitrary shell commands on the vulnerable system.
Upgrade to the latest version of newsbeuter (1.1 or later), available from the newsbeuter Web site. See References.
- Newsbeuter Development Blog, September 1, 2008 at 10:47 am: Newsbeuter 1.1 released: contains security fix, please upgrade.
- newsbeuter Web site: Download.
- BID-30964: Newsbeuter Crafted URI Remote Arbitrary Shell Command Injection Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-3907: The open-in-browser command in newsbeuter before 1.1 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via shell metacharacters in a feed URL.
- GLSA-200809-12: Newsbeuter: User-assisted execution of arbitrary code
- OSVDB ID: 47935: Newsbeuter URL Processing Arbitrary Shell Command Execution
- SA31676: Newsbeuter URL Processing Shell Command Execution
- Gentoo Linux
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.1
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.1.1
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.2
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.3
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.4
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.5
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.6
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.7
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.8
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.8.1
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.8.2
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.9
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 0.9.1
- newsbeuter newsbeuter 1.0
Sep 01, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.