sSMTP from_format() information disclosure
|ssmtp-fromformat-information-disclosure (45038)||Low Risk|
sSMTP could allow a remote attacker to obtain sensitive information, caused by an error in the from_format() function that calls the strdup() with uninitialized memory. If geco is unset and FromLineOverride is disabled, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to obtain sensitive information copied from the "From:" field within an email.
Apply the patch for this vulnerability (ssmtp-unitialized-strdup.patch), available from the Gentoo-Portage Web site. See References.
- Gentoo Bugzilla Bug 234391: mail-mta/ssmtp-2.62 unitialized memory disclosure (CVE-2008-3962).
- Gentoo-Portage Web site: mail-mta/ssmtp.
- BID-31094: sSMTP 'from_format()' Uninitialized Memory Information Disclosure Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-3962: The from_format function in ssmtp.c in ssmtp 2.61 and 2.62, in certain configurations, uses uninitialized memory for the From: field of an e-mail message, which might allow remote attackers to obtain sensitive information (memory contents) in opportunistic circumstances by reading a message.
- OSVDB ID: 48036: ssmtp ssmtp.cfrom_format Function Email From Field Remote Information Disclosure
- Anibal Monsalve Salazar ssmtp 2.6.2
Sep 09, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.