OpenSC pkcs15-tool weak security
|opensc-pkcs15tool-weak-security (45045)||Low Risk|
OpenSC could provide weaker than expected security, caused by the failure to apply security updates to a smart card whose label does not match the "OpenSC" string by the pkcs15-tool. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability and possibly launch further attacks on the system.
Refer to OpenSC Security Advisory [27-Aug-2008] for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- OpenSC Security Advisory [27-Aug-2008]: opensc 0.11.6 with fixed security update.
- OpenSC Web site: OpenSC.
- oss-security Mailing List, Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:49:02 -0400 (EDT): Re: opensc 0.11.6 with fixed security update .
- CVE-2008-3972: pkcs15-tool in OpenSC before 0.11.6 does not apply security updates to a smart card unless the card's label matches the OpenSC string, which might allow physically proximate attackers to exploit vulnerabilities that the card owner expected were patched, as demonstrated by exploitation of CVE-2008-2235.
- SUSE-SR:2008:019: SUSE Security Summary Report
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.11.0
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.11.1
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.11.2
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.11.3 Pre3
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.11.3
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.11.4
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.11.5
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.3.2
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.3.5
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.4.0
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.6.0
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.6.1
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.7.0
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.8
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.8.0.0
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.8.1
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.9
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.9.6
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.9.7
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.9.7 D
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.9.7 B
- OpenSC-Project OpenSC 0.9.8
Aug 27, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.