Apple Mac OS X PPP password information disclosure
|macos-ppppassword-information-disclosure (45173)||Low Risk|
Apple Mac OS X could allow a local attacker to obtain sensitive information, caused by the insecure storing of unencrypted PPP passwords in a world readable file by the System Configuration. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to obtain the PPP passwords and other sensitive information.
Apply Apple Security Update 2008-004 or upgrade to the latest version of Mac OS X (10.5.5 or later), available from the Apple Web site. See References.
- Apple Web site: About the security content of Mac OS X v10.5.5 and Security Update 2008-006 .
- BID-31189: Apple Mac OS X 2008-006 Multiple Security Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-2312: Network Preferences in Apple Mac OS X 10.4.11 stores PPP passwords in cleartext in a world-readable file, which allows local users to obtain sensitive information by reading this file.
- OSVDB ID: 48184: Apple Mac OS X Network Preferences Cleartext PPP Password Local Disclosure
- SA31882: Apple Mac OS X Security Update Fixes Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1020881: Mac OS X System Configuration Bug Discloses PPP Password to Local Users
- Apple Mac OS X 10.4.11
- Apple Mac OS X Server 10.4.11
Sep 15, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.