Emacspeak extract-table.pl symlink
|emacspeak-extracttable-symlink (45237)||Medium Risk|
Emacspeak could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. The extract-table.pl script creates temporary files insecurely. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from the extract-table.csv temporary file to other various files on the system, which would allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of Emacspeak (28.0-2 or later), available from the Emacspeak Web page. See References.
- Debian Bug report logs - #496431: The possibility of attack with the help of symlinks in some Debian packages.
- Dmitry E. Oboukhov Advisory: Package: emacspeak .
- Emacspeak Web page: Emacspeak --The Complete Audio Desktop.
- BID-31241: Emacspeak 'extract-table.pl' Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-4191: extract-table.pl in Emacspeak 26 and 28 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on the extract-table.csv temporary file.
- OSVDB ID: 48267: Emacspeak extract-table.pl Temporary File Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA31880: emacspeak Insecure Temporary Files
- Emacspeak Emacspeak 26
- Emacspeak Emacspeak 28
Aug 24, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.