Xerox ESS/Network Controller Samba code execution
|xerox-controller-samba-code-execution (45251)||High Risk|
The Xerox ESS/Network Controller could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by the improper handling of SMB responses within the Samba code. By sending a specially-crafted Remote Service Message Block (SMB) message, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code on the vulnerable system.
Refer to Xerox Security Bulletin XRX08-009 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Xerox Security Bulletin XRX08-009: Software update to address Network Controller vulnerability.
- BID-31255: RETIRED: Xerox WorkCentre/WorkCentre Pro Network Controller Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-4189: Buffer overflow in the printer sharing services in the Samba code in Xerox ESS/Network Controller in Pro 2xx Series before *.60.22.016, 7655/7665/7675 products before 040.033.53050, and 56xx Series before 21.113.02.015 allows remote attackers to modify system configuration via unknown attack vectors related to Remote Service Message Block (SMB) responses. NOTE: due to insufficient details, it is unclear whether this is a duplicate of an existing CVE identifier for Samba.
- SA31911: Xerox ESS/Network Controller Samba Vulnerability
- Xerox WorkCentre 5623
- Xerox WorkCentre 5635
- Xerox WorkCentre 5645
- Xerox WorkCentre 5655
- Xerox WorkCentre 5665
- Xerox WorkCentre 5675
- Xerox WorkCentre 5687
- Xerox WorkCentre 7655
- Xerox WorkCentre 7665
- Xerox WorkCentre 7675
- Xerox WorkCentre 232
- Xerox WorkCentre 238
- Xerox WorkCentre 245
- Xerox WorkCentre 255
- Xerox WorkCentre 265
- Xerox WorkCentre 275
- Xerox WorkCentre Pro 232
- Xerox WorkCentre Pro 238
- Xerox WorkCentre Pro 245
- Xerox WorkCentre Pro 255
- Xerox WorkCentre Pro 265
- Xerox WorkCentre Pro 275
Sep 19, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.