NMS DVD Burning SDK NMSDVDX.dll ActiveX control file overwrite
|nmsdvdburning-nmsdvdx-file-overwrite (45330)||Medium Risk|
The NMS DVD Burning SDK ActiveX control (NMSDVDX.dll) could allow a remote attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system. By persuading a victim to visit a malicious Web site, a remote attacker could pass specially-crafted arguments using the EnableLog() or LogMessage() method to overwrite and corrupt arbitrary files on the system.
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- Blaze Media Pro Web site: Blaze Media Pro.
- CDBurnerXP Web site: CDBurnerXP.
- HTB23024: StudioLine Photo Basic 3 ActiveX control Insecure Method.
- Numedia Soft Web site: Downloads.
- StudioLine Web site: Photo Basic 3.
- BID-31374: NMS DVD Burning SDK 'NMSDVDX.dll' ActiveX Control Arbitrary File Overwrite Vulnerability
- BID-49192: StudioLine Photo Basic 'NMSDVDXU.dll' ActiveX Control Arbitrary File Overwrite Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-4342: NuMedia Soft NMS DVD Burning SDK Activex NMSDVDX.DVDEngineX.1 ActiveX control (NMSDVDX.dll) 1.013C and earlier, as used in CDBurnerXP 22.214.171.1246, BurnAware 2.1.3, Blaze Media Pro 8.02 Special Edition, and possibly other products, allows remote attackers to overwrite and create arbitrary files via calls to the EnableLog and LogMessage methods. NOTE: this issue might only be exploitable in limited environments or non-default browser settings. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information. NOTE: this can be leveraged for remote code execution by accessing files using hcp:// URLs.
- OSVDB ID: 48449: NMS DVD Burning SDK ActiveX NMSDVDX.DVDEngineX.1 (NMSDVDX.dll) Multiple Method Arbitrary Code Execution
- OSVDB ID: 74611: StudioLine Photo Basic ActiveX NMSDVDX.DVDEngineX.1 (NMSDVDXU.dll) Multiple Method Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA31936: NMS DVD Burning SDK ActiveX Control Insecure Methods
- SA31949: CDBurnerXP Pro NMSDVDX ActiveX Control Insecure Methods
- SA31950: BurnAware NMSDVDX ActiveX Control Insecure Methods
- SA32455: Blaze Media Pro NMSDVDX ActiveX Control Insecure Methods
- SA45680: StudioLine Photo Basic NMSDVDX ActiveX Control Insecure Methods
- Blaze Media Pro Blaze Media Pro 126.96.36.199 Trial
- BurnAware Technologies BurnAware ActiveX control 2.1.3 Home
- BurnAware Technologies BurnAware ActiveX control 2.1.3 Professional
- BurnAware Technologies BurnAware ActiveX control 2.1.3 Free
- Impressum CDBurnerXP 188.8.131.526
- Numedia Soft NuMedia DVD Burning SDK 1.008
- StudioLine Photo Basic 3 184.108.40.206
Sep 19, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.