Chilkat XML ChilkatUtil.dll ActiveX control file overwrite
|chilkatxml-chilkatutil-file-overwrite (45333)||Medium Risk|
The Chilkat XML ActiveX control (ChilkatUtil.dll) could allow a remote attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system. By persuading a victim to visit a malicious Web site, a remote attacker could pass specially-crafted arguments to the filename or templateFilename parameter using the insecure SaveToFile(), AppendBinary() or SaveToTempFile() method to create and overwrite arbitrary files on the system.
No remedy available as of May 1, 2013.
- Chilkat Web site: Chilkat XML ActiveX.
- shinnai Advisories: Chilkat XML ActiveX Remote Arbitrary File Creation/Execution.
- BID-31332: Chilkat XML ActiveX Control Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-4343: The Chilkat XML ChilkatUtil.CkData.1 ActiveX control (ChilkatUtil.dll) 22.214.171.124 and earlier allows remote attackers to create, overwrite, and modify arbitrary files for execution via a call to the (1) SaveToFile, (2) SaveToTempFile, or (3) AppendBinary method. NOTE: this issue might only be exploitable in limited environments or non-default browser settings. NOTE: this can be leveraged for remote code execution by accessing files using hcp:// URLs.
- OSVDB ID: 48448: Chilkat XML ChilkatUtil.CkData.1 ActiveX (ChilkatUtil.dll) Multiple Method Arbitrary Code Execution
- SA31951: Chilkat XML ActiveX Component Insecure Methods
- Chilkat Software Chilkat XML ActiveX control 126.96.36.199
Sep 23, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.