IBM Tivoli Netcool Webtop privilege escalation
|tivoli-netcoolwebtop-privilege-escalation (45419)||High Risk|
IBM Tivoli Netcool Webtop could allow an attacker to gain elevated privileges on the system, caused by the improper use of cached user permissions. If a user logged into Webtop with root privileges logs out without closing the browser, a local attacker with read only privileges could log in using the same browser session and gain root privileges on the vulnerable system.
Refer to IBM Support & downloads Web site for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- IBM Support & downloads: Tivoli Netcool Webtop 2.1.0 Fix Pack 5, 2.1.0-TIV-NCWebtop-FP0005.
- BID-31414: IBM Tivoli Netcool/Webtop Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-4294: IBM Tivoli Netcool/Webtop 2.1 before 220.127.116.11 preserves cached user privileges after logout, which allows physically proximate attackers to hijack a session by visiting an unattended workstation, as demonstrated by a root session that is still valid after a subsequent read-only session has begun.
- OSVDB ID: 48610: IBM Tivoli Netcool Webtop Browser Cached Privileges Weakness
- SA32036: Tivoli Netcool/Webtop Security Issue and Information Disclosure Vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-2690: IBM Tivoli Netcool/Webtop Multiple Security Bypass Vulnerabilities
- IBM Tivoli Netcool Webtop 2.1.0
- IBM Tivoli Netcool Webtop 2.1.0 FP4
Sep 25, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.