Cisco IOS UDP IPC communication denial of service variant 2
|ios-udp-ipc-dos-variant2 (45592)||Medium Risk|
Cisco 10000, uBR10012 and uBR7200 devices running Cisco IOS are vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error when processing certain UDP packets. By sending a specially-crafted UDP packet to an interface intended for IPC communication, a remote attacker could cause the device and/or linecard to reload.
Denial of Service
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- Cisco Security Alert, September 24, 2008 01:04 PM EDT: Cisco IOS IPC Message Denial of Service Vulnerability.
- cisco-sa-20080924-ipc: Cisco Security Advisory: Cisco 10000, uBR10012, uBR7200 Series Devices IPC Vulnerability .
- CVE-2008-3806: Cisco IOS 12.0 through 12.4 on Cisco 10000, uBR10012 and uBR7200 series devices handles external UDP packets that are sent to 127.0.0.0/8 addresses intended for IPC communication within the device, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (device or linecard reload) via crafted UDP packets, a different vulnerability than CVE-2008-3805.
- SA31990: Cisco IOS Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Cisco 10000
- Cisco IOS 12.0S
- Cisco IOS 12.0SL
- Cisco IOS 12.0ST
- Cisco IOS 12.0SZ
- Cisco IOS 12.2ZX
- Cisco IOS 12.3BC
- Cisco IOS 12.3T
- Cisco IOS 12.3XI
- Cisco IOS 12.4
- Cisco uBR10012
- Cisco uBR7200
Sep 24, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.