KVIrc irc:// URI handler format string
|kvirc-irc-format-string (46114)||High Risk|
KVIrc could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by a format string vulnerability when handling URIs. By persuading a victim to click on a specially-crafted irc:// URI containing malicious format specifiers, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code on the vulnerable system and cause the service to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of KVIrc (3.4.2 or later), available from the KVIrc Web site. See References.
- KVIrc Web site: KVIrc.net - The Visual IRC Client.
- Packet Storm Web Site: KVIrc v3.4.0 Virgo Remote Format String Exploit (PoC) .
- BID-31912: KVIrc URI Handler Remote Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-4748: Format string vulnerability in the URI handler in KVirc 3.4.0, when set as the default application for processing IRC URIs, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via format string specifiers in the irc:// URI.
- OSVDB ID: 49352: KVIrc Crafted irc:// URI Handling Format String
- SA32410: KVIrc "irc://" URI Handling Format String Vulnerability
- Szymon Stefanek (aka Pragma) KVIrc 3.4.0
Oct 24, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.